Ep. 0126: The Story of Squanto
Tisquantum (or Squanto, as he’s better known today) was a Patuxet Indian with an incredible, complex life story that very few people have an inkling of today; and when you look at the story of early seventeenth-century New England from his perspective, it’s a very different tale than what you get from standard American mythology.
Join CJ as he discusses:
- Squanto’s early life as a Wampanoag in Dawnland, and his abduction & transportation (possibly more than once) to England as a young man
- How he finally made it home after years of absence only to find his community had been wiped out by European diseases while he was gone
- His uneasy relationship with the Wampanoag sachem Massasoit
- How Squanto used his knowledge of the English language & culture to make himself indispensable to the Pilgrims who began settling on the former site of his village, and tried to leverage that for his own ambition, but ultimately died before any of his ambitions came to pass.
The Dangerous History Podcast is covered by a BipCot NoGov license; learn more at BipCot.org
- From the WayBack Machine: DHP Ep. 0042: Merrymount: A Pilgrim Story They Didn’t Tell You (the last time I did a Thanksgiving special, way back in 2014 when I was still learning how to podcast)
CJ’s Picks (Amazon affiliate links)